Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter Weekend


April 26,2011
This long weekend started off with Jennii and I teaching a double shift on Friday. This meant we taught the morning group from 9-1 and the afternoon from 3-7.  We did this as a favor to the morning teachers because they willingly taught a double for us a few weeks ago so we could get better.  I was super nervous for it.... I mean it's hard enough trying to make it through 4 hours of teaching but 8? Thank goodness I had 

Jennii right there with me because she kept me positive and energetic =) Teaching in the morning was actually a lot of fun! The kids were fun and silly and there was only half as many of the kids we have in the afternoon so it was super nice.  We got done teaching the morning half and had a few hours to eat and get ready for round two.  Somehow I made it through the next 4 hours of teaching... not sure how I did that without falling asleep but I did! Needless to say I have never been so exhausted in my 
life! Kids wear you out! But I'm glad we could give the other girls a break =) So after teaching I headed home for my 3 day weekend! I spent the first night staying up really late watching Gilmore Girls =) On Saturday I slept in and then spent the whole day at home with my host family basking in the sun.  It was about 70 degrees here! It felt like heaven!  I was outside about 95% of the day playing with my host brother, reading, tanning, sleeping, eating, catching butterflies, playing soccer, etc.  It was so fun to hang out with my family because I don't usually have a lot of time to spend with them.  We also spent some time painting eggs and making Easter cake. It was a very relaxing Saturday =) Then on Sunday we got up and headed over to my host Uncles house and spent Easter with them.  I played with the kids, went on an Easter egg hunt, ate delicious food, and soaked up the sun.  It was definitely weird not being home for Easter, I'm glad we had an Easter egg hunt =) It was funny because my host mom hid the eggs and 
in the end we couldn't find one! This reminded me of how Dad can't ever remember where he puts all of his eggs.  I told my Host mom we should have made a map of where she hid them and she just laughed at me.  Since I found the most eggs I got some chocolate as a prize =) On Monday I slept in and took my sweet time getting ready and then headed out to hangout with Natalie, Auvi, and Ameri.  We all met at Khrishatic and decided to people watch for a little.  After only being there for a few minutes we noticed a guy that was cleaning off his bench before sitting on it. He noticed us looking at him and waved to us, so we of course waved back.... bad idea.  He then 
proceeded to come toward us and since we don't speak very much Russian we just sat there awkwardly while he, Artem, rambled on and on and tried to use some English here and there.  We finally found a way to escape and as we were getting up to leave Artem put his fingers up to his lips, meaning he wanted a kiss before we left.  We all just laughed and walked away.  Gotta love people watching =) We then headed over to Friendship Arch.  They have a few amusement park rides over there and we decided to try one out.  It was called the Matrix and looked a lot like the Magic Carpet ride.  It turned out to be SUCH a fun ride! The seats were really big so while it was going around and around you would just bounce around in your seat.  I forgot how much I love going on rides! After the ride we headed across the bridge to go spend some time at the beach, little did we know it was a nude beach... JUST KIDDING =) It was so nice out and there were so many people out making sand castles, playing cards, tanning, and reading.  I could have spent the rest of my day there! I definitely plan on going back another day! We spent some time soaking our feet in the freezing water and then headed
 back across the bridge. I absolutely love 3 day weekends =) It's amazing how much the sun has opened my eyes to how beautiful Kyiv is and that I really am going to miss it here! This weekend we head out on our 10 day vacation to Poland and Crimea, and then after that we will only have 2 and 1/2 weeks left of teaching! I cannot believe how fast time has flown! Since I have such little time left I have decided I am going to LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT =)
 Here are some more pictures from my weekend =)
 Left: After spending a night barbecuing this was our view =)


Right: Vova was trying to teach me how to skateboard, he is super talented




 Left: This loving dish is called 'blood of a pig' still think it looks good? Think again :/


Right: Easter Eve barbecue, the food here is AMAZING
 Left: Looking out over the river above the beach


Right: Behind me is the bridge we walked across to get to the beach, do you notice the SUN! =)


 Left: Natalie and Auvi being so silly! Gotta love height differences =)


Right: Sorry I cut off your face Nat!I love these girls <3
 Happy Easter!

2 comments: