Sunday, February 13, 2011

Bowling with Big MAMA

There are 5 of us in our group that work in the afternoon from 3-7 and we decided that since we don't have a lot of time, or energy, to explore after we teach that we would try and go exploring before we teach. This requires us to get up early... I am not much of an early person but I figure I might as well sacrifice my sleep so I can see Kyiv while I'm here because who knows if I'll get this chance again. Our first outing was on Friday. We all met up at 9:45 to head over to a museum/statue. We had nothing but Jennii's Lonely Planet Guide telling us where we needed to go. You would think in a group of 5 girls and 1 map we would be able to find our way right? We headed out of the metro and picked a direction. We were looking for a really large statue called "big m
ama," and I kept thinking to myself 'this statue is huge! How are we missing it?' After walking for a bit with no luck we stopped and tried to figure out where we 
needed to go. Rockie thought that if we just started to say "where is big mama" some Ukrainian would stop and help us... this did not work very well. We finally ended up asking someone at a side shop how to get there. Turns out we are pretty blind. We just had to go down the street and there she was, big mama. As we got closer to our destination we began to question where the entrance was... all we could see was that she was standing on a large hill. We all realized this meant we would have to climb to get to big mama. We met up with the staircase and with the burn in our legs we made it to the top and it was BEAUTIFUL!  This is "Big Mama" the famous statue of Kyiv that houses a World War II museum.  "Big
Mama" is also known as "Mother of the Nation" and was the symbol used during Soviet times to rally national support. We were able to go through the museum
inside and it was SO neat. It amazes me how much thought and care goes into howa museum is designed. Every little detail counts! After we saw Big Mama we had to head back to the school to teach. Teaching went really well and afterwards we met up with everyone at a mall called Dream Town. It has 3 stories, a bowling alley, skating rink, bumper cars and more. We decided to go bowling which was so much fun! I actually think I am getting worse at bowling. I only bowled a 42! It was so fun!

1 comment:

  1. wow a 42...you are really good! haha looks like so much fun! i want to go to that 3 story mall plae

    ReplyDelete