Sunday, February 20, 2011

Home Away From Home

February 20, 2011
It's strange how so many of the stories they told me in training are becoming reality! They told us that there would come a point where you would start to feel like your area was 'home.' I think I am beginning to understand this. I am gone for the majority of the day Monday-Friday because of teaching and planning lessons and then weekends are always packed with exploring and adventures so I am not home much. When I first arrived in Ukraine, I looked forward to these outings because I didn't enjoy being home with people I didn't know who couldn't really communicate with me because of the language barrier. It was not until this week that I began to feel bad because I'm gone so much. I started to miss home and my host family! Things are starting to finally fall into place! I can actually ride the buses

and metros without getting lost (most of the time). I have also learned to eat more than I ever have in my life! I swear I'm like a bottomless pit! A huge part of Ukrainian culture is sitting around and drinking tea. My host family is always so shocked when I tell them that I only drink herbal tea. I'm usually not much of a fan of herbal tea but they got me this raspberry kind and I LOVE it! The food here is delicious and I feel like I'm hungry ALL THE TIME! 
I blame it on the fact that we walk so much =) So I figured since I've been here over a month (time is going so fast!) I should post some pictures of my home!  There is only 1 bathroom in the whole house. 1 bathroom to 5 people means you get really good at being patient and waiting your turn. =)  My room! I sleep on a pull-out bed! I feel like they give up so much to host me because the parents and 
their son all sleep in the same room.  They definitely are the sweetest host family ever!  This is the kitchen/living/dining room all in one! They make the 
most delicious food here!  Something I have learned to get over since I've been here is my fear of dogs, especially big dogs. EVERYONE has a dog here! My host family just so happens to have 3 HUGE Rottweilers ! The only thing I knew about those dogs was that they were big and scary.  I have learned that even though they look vicious sometimes, they are actually just big softies =) I can actually say that I enjoy their company in my room.

Their names are Masha *the mom* Martina and Maxim *the two pups* Me and Maxim are best friends! He walks me to the door everyday when I leave to school and then greets me with his big slobbery face when I get home. Oh and for some reason all the dogs love to just smell my boots...its a little strange. Also, since they are so big it makes moving around the house very interesting. They are part of the family and I love them! At least I know I feel very safe and protected when I'm home because they are the best guard dogs ever! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment